Thursday, April 9, 2009

Our New Adventure...Skoolies!

Meet:
Big Bertha!
or is it...
Buster?
or...
Beaulla?
...in any case, this is our new Bus!
And by new, of course I mean "new to us." She's a '90 Bluebird school bus. And up until just a few weeks ago, she was still being used to haul around poor unsuspecting children. ;)

In a few weeks, however, she will be outfitted as our home-on-wheels! (I can just see the quizzical expressions of everyone's faces.) :) Yes, it will be quite a project. But I am so looking forward to seeing Jon use his creativity! He now has a project of his own, and I can see a sparkle in his eye when he thinks about it. We've been drawing floor plans, picking names, looking at paint colors. When my man gets finished with it, it will be quite the sight to behold, I have no doubt. 

Now for my little confession. Yes, ladies and gentleman, it did take a little getting used to! It's rare that a woman dreams about making her home in a bus. But with a little time and research, I actually got kind of excited! There are some really nice "skoolies" out there. (Skoolie is the name for a school bus converted into an RV.) Check out this one. Or this one. Not bad, eh? And with Jon's talent, I know ours will be just right for our family. We're thinking bunk beds, a wood stove, lots of built in storage...maybe even a washer/dryer! (that last one is, of course, my contribution to the brain storming...)

Well, I'll keep ya'll posted!

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're grabbing the vision (I know... what are your options) anyway, I hope you'll still be my friend:-)

    Those are very cool pictures of bus innards, but PLEASE! Don't use that upholstery!!
    Uh... unless.. you... (gulp) LIKE it.
    I mean, it's your house and all...

    ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness! Their upholstery is quite horrid! Don't worry, I agree! :) Maybe we can have you guys over some day. heh. heh. We might have to eat on a picnic table outside the bus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun! Karl will be jealous. He's been wanting to re-do a bus for awhile but we haven't exactlty had funds for it. Well, I suppose we could sell the house and do it, but I think as long as we try to farm it makes a bit more sense to live here. Enjoy adventuring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's absolutely doable. We did the RV thing up until we moved to Cheney moving from one lot to the other each November. I'll be interested to see how everything comes along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'm thinking it'll be pretty fun!

    ReplyDelete