Thursday, June 27, 2013

Happenings

Here are a few things going on this week:

Airstream projects:
1) new beds for the girls are in the works. 
2) a new dinning room set up. 
3) removing some unnecessary appliances. 

We took out the ice maker. I'm pretty sure ice makers in airstreams are from the era when cocktails were a high priority. Glamping back then included fancy drinks! However, I'm satisfied with a tray of ice in the freezer. Bye bye ice maker! We envision pull out shelving for this space in the future...


And here is the hole where the furnace used to be. Since we use alternative heating methods, this had to go too. After a few other projects get done, a new kitchen will be happening! Woohoo! Still dreaming about why I want to happen there. 


Also, I'm a lover of kombucha, and I usually just buy the stuff. We drink enough of it that I have thought of making it in the past, but it seemed daunting. Well, it still seems daunting, but I'm going to give it a go. My good friend makes it all the time, and she brought me a scoby (which is like a gooey mass of healthy bacteria that ferments the drink). It really looks like something you forgot about in the fridge for months. 


You put the scoby on top of a gallon of sweetened black tea and let it do it's thing for 5 days. Here are the directions I followed in case you're interested:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-brew-kombucha-double-fermentation-method/

Here it is on day 1:



In a few more days, I'll add some fruit juice and let it sit 2 more days to get bubbly. I do love that fizzy drink! Here's hoping it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment