Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Official Homeschoolers

We have been teaching our children at home since they were born, but we officially started "real" school today! Libby & Evie will be learning to read, do beginning math, become more familiar with the Bible, write simple words & sentences, and hopefully continue to develop a love of learning. While I have a spreadsheet for daily activities and "lesson plans," I am purposing NOT to worry about deviating from it. I want our schooling to be flexible! I want it to flow with our normal life. I want to continue to enjoy my children and develop strong bonds with them. I want them to come away with an understanding of what's most important in life, knowing & being love by our LORD.

The spreadsheet is for me. NOT me for the spreadsheet. If I wake up in the morning clueless about what we're doing, I have lessons and activities waiting for me. We are using this curriculum to start:


(Math-U-See)

Both came with great reviews and success stories from close friends a little farther down the schooling road than me. So, we thought we'd start there, but I'm giving us permission to change what we're doing if its not working!

Day 1 was a big success! The girls absolutely loved the structure and the individual attention. We managed pretty well, since Lucy cooperated with a good morning nap. I'm curious how it will go when baby #4 arrives in early November. I've already decided to take a few weeks off, at least. We'll see how it goes! Flexibility will be key!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard good things about both of those curriculums, too, so while they're not what I'm planning to use right now, they're both on my back up list! I'll be curious to hear how they're working for you! Congrats on a first day going well! =) We still have a couple of summer things planned, including a camping trip, so we're starting in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete