Sunday, September 21, 2014

A Moment of Sincere Thanks

It was one of those times you know you could have been on your way to the hospital...but instead you were cherishing your perfectly healthy baby. 


I had been making a pot of French press coffee for a friend that was down helping on our construction project. I was also in the middle of chocolate chip pancakes for my girls. At the same time, Lucy had suffered some unknown injustice and was fussing and clinging to my leg. I picked up the French press to pour the coffee that had been sitting ready for over 5 minutes. 

The handle broke off of the press, and hot coffee pour down the front of the counter and onto Lucy's head and shoulder. We both started crying, startled and scared. I have had a bad burn in the past, and I immediately remembered the pain and what my baby might be feeling! 

After lots of tears, ice, and cool cloths applied, she appears to be completely fine! Not even a hint of redness! She is happily playing as if nothing happened. I know what could have been. I could have poured that coffee much sooner. Thank you, Father!! Thank you, thank you! 



Yesterday, I watched a friend's little guy trip and land his head inches away from a sharp edge. It was another one of those moments. He hopped up, completely fine, off to continue his play. As parents watching, we all tried to shake off the instant adrenaline. We all saw what could have been. 


Both those moments got me thinking how our Father holds us in His hand. Those moments are only the obvious ones that remind me of His protection. But every moment in this perilous world could be something different. He is our Preservation. And children seem to bring more opportunities to see this. 


I also know that He would be Good and Wonderful even if the worst were to happen. I cannot comprehend how my grief and deep knowledge of His unchanging character would mingle. But I know He would remain the Great I Am, and I hope He would help me praise Him still. 


But in this moment, I am so thankful He preserved my Lucy this morning. Life goes on as normal with a knowledge that it could be different. Thank you, Lord. 


1 comment:

  1. Praising Him with you Jana!

    Loving that picture of the hoodlums under the table :-)

    Love you

    ReplyDelete