Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Kombucha Update

Well, so far so good! 

Although, the instructions said the kombucha would be ready for the second stage at the 5 day mark, it also said it would be ready when it tasted more sour than sweet. This is day 8. Today is the first day I thought we hit that sweet spot...or the sour spot, I suppose. 

Here's what the batch looked like prior to bottling it for the second stage of fermentation:


Ewww. 

I drink this stuff?!?

I gotta say. It tasted AWESOME! 

So the second stage is adding fruit juice for flavor, putting it in smaller, sealed bottles, and letting it do it's thing for another 2 days. Sealing the bottles allows the carbonation to build up and make it pleasantly fizzy. 

Here's the bottles with the juice. I am trying blueberry pomegranate, apple cherry, and one plain. 


I varied the amount of juice in the bottles to see what happens. 

Here's the scoby after I removed it in order to pour the kombucha into jars...


Lovely. 

And here is my bottled brew! 


2 more days to wait. 

Talk about delayed gratification! 

(Oh, and now the brewing process starts all over again from step one. It's a never ending cycle of fizzy goodness!)

No comments:

Post a Comment